Classic Joe, Big Joe, Classic Joe Stand-Alone, Big Joe Stand-Alone and Joe Jr.
Your Kamado Joe Grill is made of quality materials, so general care and maintenance is minimal. The best way to protect your Kamado Joe from the elements is with a Grill Cover.
Kamado Joe Classic and Big Joe Grills are equipped with easy ash removal systems. Before each cook on your Kamado Joe you should use the included ash tool to stir up the remaining charcoal in the firebox to remove all the loose ash. The loose ash will fall through the fire grate into the ash collection pan. Remove the ash collection pan and dispose of the loose ash. Place the ash collection pan back in the base of the grill and you are ready to cook again.
Once or twice a year, you should do a more thorough cleaning of the inside of the grill. You should remove the fire ring and the firebox and remove any residual ash and debris that has collected between the grill lower body and the internal ceramic components. You should use a plastic bristle brush to clean the inside surface and then you can scoop or vacuum the debris from the bottom of the grill before replacing the ceramic components.
Maintaining the Grill Bands
Check the position and tightness of the bands once or twice a year. Use an Allen wrench and a 10mm wrench to make sure the nut is tight. You should not be able to turn the Allen wrench easily while holding the nut in place with the 10mm wrench. If this nut is loose, tighten it firmly. If a band is not centered on the gasket material, loosen the band enough to push it back in place. You can also place a block of wood on top of the band and lightly tap the wood with a hammer until the band is in position. Tighten the band connector with a 10mm wrench and Allen wrench.
If your Kamado Joe Grill is not used for an extended period of time, moisture can be trapped inside the grill and you may see areas of mould or mildew on the cooking grate or internal ceramics. This can easily be eliminated because Kamado Joe Grills are self-cleaning. Do NOT use bleach or other cleaning products. It adds an unpleasant taste to food.
- Add charcoal and light it.
- Install the Divide & Conquer main rack with the X-rack in the top position with both panels of the heat deflector on the X-rack.
- Open the top and bottom air vents fully and let the temperature inside the grill rise to 600°F (315°C) with the dome lid closed.
- Hold the temperature at around 600°F (315°C) for 15-20 minutes.
- Close the bottom vent fully and wait another 15-20 minutes to close the top vent.
This process will burn off any unwanted residue from the inside of your grill. Before cooking again, brush the cooking grate with a standard grill brush. Use a soft bristle brush on the ceramics to remove any residue. Your heat deflector plates should also be free of burned on residue after this process. Brush them down with a soft bristle brush after cleaning. When your heat deflectors get dirty during normal use, flip them over with the dirty side down for the next cook and the heat from the fire will self-clean that side of the deflector plate.
Adjusting the Tension of your Big Joe Hinge
Over time, the hinge on your BigJoe may need to have the tension adjusted. This will ensure that the least amount of effort is required to fully raise the dome and that it remains stationary when fully open.
- Place the dome lid in the “closed” position.
- Facing the back of the grill, use a 10mm Allen wrench to tighten the two largest bolts located on the lower back of the hinge case.
- Check that the dome remains stationary in the “fully open” position. If not, close the dome, tighten the two bolts and recheck. If fully tightening the two bolts still does not allow the dome to remain stationary in the “fully open” position, contact Kamado Joe for replacement springs and installation instructions.
Heat Deflector and Pizza Stone
- Allow ceramics to cool completely before cleaning.
- Wipe off food material with a brush and store inside in a dry place.
Do NOT place on tables or surfaces that are not heat resistant.
Do NOT use either ceramic plate to cook with on a stove top.
Do NOT season with olive oil or other cooking oils.
Do NOT use cleaning chemicals or soap and water.
Do NOT soak in water. It may cause it to crack with the next use.